Checking Engine Oil Level
IMPORTANT NOTE: Check oil level daily when power outages necessitate running the generator for extended periods.
Caution - Verify proper type and quantity of engine oil prior to starting engine. Failure to do so could result in engine damage.
Proceed as follows to check engine oil level:
- Set main utility disconnect to OFF (OPEN).
- Set main line circuit breaker (MLCB) (generator disconnect) on generator to OFF (OPEN).
- Run generator for a cool-down period of approximately one minute.
- Press OFF mode button to run generator off. Wait for five minutes.
- Remove dipstick and wipe it down with a clean cloth.
- Completely insert oil dipstick into oil dipstick tube and remove it.
- Observe oil level. The level should be at the "FULL" mark on oil dipstick.
- If necessary, remove oil fill cap and add oil to engine (with oil dipstick removed) until level reaches 'FULL' mark. Insert oil dipstick and install fill cap.
WARNING- DO NOT OVERFILL! - FILLING THE OIL ABOVE FULL LINE WILL CAUSE OIL BLOW OUT EXHAUST AND CRANKCASE!
To restart the generator:
- Press the control panel AUTO mode button
- Allow the generator to start and warm up for a few minutes
- Set the generator disconnect on the generator to ON (CLOSED).
- The system is now operating in automatic mode. The main utility disconnect can be turned ON (CLOSED).
What kind of oil do I use?
Required Oil per Generac's manuals for most air cooled engines is synthetic SAE 5W-30 for all temperature ranges. But please look at your specific region for average high and low temperatures. Verify proper type and quantity of engine oil prior to ...
What is considered “normal” oil consumption on air cooled generators?
Air Cooled engines are built with more tolerances for the block and rings to heat and cool or expand and contract. Because of this the engine will use more oil to cool the engine and also have some blow by in the rings due to the way the air cooled ...
How many days will a generac generator run/power a home?
The generac generator can run continuously until utility comes back if you follow the proper maintenance procedures. This requires you to have a daily check, so every 24 hours you must check for oil and do visual inspection of fuel lines and oil ...
Fleet Monitoring Features - LTE Cellular or Wifi Remote Monitor
FLEET FEATURES Features Active FREE Generator status yes yes iOS and Android yes yes Monthly email summary yes yes Email, text and push* notifications yes Fuel level** yes Maintenance schedules yes Exercise time yes Maintenance due by yes Status ...
Overloaded portable and now it does not start
If you had an overload and now it wont start, more than likely you may have flooded it out. I would pull the spark plug , clean and try to start. It may also need a maintenance depending on the hours of usage. if it doesn't start, do the proper ...